The prospect of needing a root canal is never a fun thing. However, it is essential to know some of the signs that this treatment could be necessary. The best thing you can do is to talk to your dentist, but that is not always possible if you have a busy schedule. If you are…
Do I Need Dental Veneers?
Many of our patients have visited us to ask "do I need dental veneers?" Unless you have damaged a tooth, you do not need a restoration. However, veneers are an excellent way to improve the appearance of your teeth and smile. Within the last decade, the wonders of cosmetic dentistry have gained significant popularity and attention. Now, more than ever, thousands of people are choosing to receive a total smile makeover, perfecting those pearly whites, and improving their overall appearance. If your teeth are discolored, chipped, or misaligned, we can correct them. Now, in just a couple of visits to our Forest Hills dental office, you can have a custom-made smile of your dreams and veneers are one of the reasons why.
What is a Veneer?
Dental veneers are thin, customized shells made of porcelain or composite resin that are placed over and bonded to one or more teeth. Veneers, which are made to match the color of your natural teeth, are designed to either improve your appearance by changing the shape, length or size of an existing, less-than-perfect tooth. Veneers are particularly helpful in improving your smile if you have teeth that are chipped or stained. Usually, dental veneers are used for cosmetic reasons. However, in some cases, veneers can be used as part of a dental makeover that includes treatment for more serious problems such as replacing a lost tooth with an implant.
Why Do I need Dental Veneers?
We typically suggest veneers in several situations. One of the most common reasons patients opt for veneers is because their teeth have become discolored for a variety of reasons. Often, these stains can be very difficult, or even impossible, to remove. Broken, chipped, misaligned, uneven, or worn down teeth can also be dramatically, quickly, and painlessly fixed with veneers. Additionally, veneers are used to fill small, unsightly gaps between teeth. There are few issues that cannot be corrected with veneers.
While you could use orthodontics to obtain a smile that you are proud to share, porcelain or composite, resin veneers are a much more simple and cost effective cosmetic option and have distinct advantages over other dental procedures. Veneers are also just as stain resistant and strong as your natural teeth.
If you're still asking the question, "do I need dental veneers?", here are some of the benefits for you to consider:
- White teeth. The color of veneer can be selected carefully so that it makes dark teeth appear whiter.
- A Natural-Look. Since veneers are custom made for each person, it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the veneers and your natural teeth. Porcelain veneers tend to reflect light better than their resin counterparts, thus having a slightly more natural appearance.
- Less Invasive. Veneers offer more of a conservative approach to changing the color and shape of teeth. In contrast with crowns, veneers do not require the extensive shaping prior to the procedure yet offer a stronger, more aesthetic alternative.
- Fewer Stains. Unlike natural teeth that can be stained very easily, dental veneers resist stains from beverages such as coffee, tea, and red wine. This is especially true for porcelain veneers.
- Strength. Dental veneers are resilient and as strong as natural tooth enamel. They can last anywhere from ten to thirty years depending on how well they are taken care of.